I found this part of our course really enjoyable this year as apposed to last year as I feel that I’ve gained more new experiences, techniques and skills. Both of the field projects that I was able to use my skills that I have learnt whilst studying and have learnt skills that I would not have been able to if this was not part of the course.
For my first field project I worked collaboratively with a Product Design student. The content of the project brief I found really interesting, I was able to explore and experiment with skills that are beyond my own discipline within Graphic design, such as the 3D printer, and laser cutting. We were asked to make a Disobedient Object which has a conceptual or material response to a political, social, or domestic situation. After ideation with my colleague we came up with an idea to make a robotic remote control finder, mainly because I have spent too much time wasted trying to find the remote control after the kids have had it.
To be honest it was a little ambitious of us as it involved, arduino programming, electronics, motors, laser cutting, all of which I had never done before and in a short period of time. with support and expertise from our lectures we managed to make a robot dog that moved, even though it had many teething problems but as a conceptual idea I feel that we produced a good piece of work for this project. The outcome its self was somewhat disobedient, I found it challenging trying to programme the legs of the robot to work harmoniously together, and was somewhat comical to watch it trying to walk across the studio floor.
Overall I really engaged in this project and have come away with skills that I would like to use in my own graphic design work. The coding and arduino programming is something that I feel would enhance some of my future work, with the possibility to creating interactive pieces.
Information is Power
This was a pie chart free zone!
We were encourages to think about data in a boarder sense and consider different visual systems and how they could be displayed. Working on a short project collaboratively and then individual with personally driven data used for our final outcome.
I could have pushed myself further in this project, and my time management was not the best. Even so I enjoyed the brief and acquired some new skills along the way. From my the pervious field project I took a interest in arduino programming and felt that I could incorporate this into my data project to make something which was interactive for the audience. I had undertaken some research into conductive paint and touch boards, which when you touch it would produce sound or light which is something that I wanted to explore and this project gave me the capability to do so. After some research into viable data to choose I chose to collate data from the creative industries, which has been the biggest growing industry in the UK since 2010. Which made me think that as a nation we are becoming more creative as a whole and wanted to create something that celebrated this.
During the construction process I came across a few hurdles, the interactive paint and connections to the arduino and the touch board were temperamental and when it came to demonstrating the finished project it was not as receptive as it had been the day before. Learning from this in the future I will be taking a video of the finished result for presentation purposes. However there is so much potential with the use of conductive paint and can see myself using it in future projects with the possibility of using it for making screen prints.