For us to get a out final message in our animation effectively, we looked at advertising strategies to help with conveying this. From research on the internet and books, one of the main ways that came out was to an effective advertisement is having one that evokes emotion. Utilising emotion, advertising is often persuasive. Dr. Robert Cialdini describes six universal principles of persuasion that have been scientifically proven to persuade the advertising audience – reciprocity, scarcity, authority, consistency, liking and consensus. To make the viewer feel something, which in turn gives them the ability to relate. This is something that was important for our animation – to have a powerful message.
Key things that came out during my research which we need to question when coming up with our animation strategy:
- What is the goal of the project – final message – what do we want the viewer to do?
- Have data based facts – Gives a higher impact / more effective
- Human element – the viewer is able to make a correlation from our story to real life
- The visuals must have a reason for being there
- Questions to the view rather than statements have a higher impact.
I found this research really helpful, it has enabled us to have a clearer starting point. What is it that we want people to do at the end of our story. For myself I would like the audience to go away and think about their own input into the worlds environment, and work in harmony with it.