Robot Dog Design process and programming

I found it a slow process from design to getting the model for the dog made. There was a lot to think about when it came to the motors and how the legs where going to move. We decided to make a small model to test out how the motors would turn to make the legs move. Below is a model that we made from cardboard and wood.

We found this movement inside was not as good as first anticipated. There was also issues with the movement of the legs as they were not able to freely move as we had glued it into place, making it difficult for it to walk. The idea was only to have the one motor powering the legs, but after this experiment with the mechanics inside we felt that two motors would be conducive.

Also thoughts on using a bluetooth signal for the dog to hone into. From our Arduino workshop we had a pretty good idea of how to programme the motors. It was getting the legs to move that was going to be the hard one. IMG_7305

This is the model that was made to fit the Arduino onto, with the motors slotting inside the case to hold it all in place. After making this model was decided to make the casing bigger to take into account the batteries and switch that was going to be added later on in the process. After we got this point we starting to delve into the ascetics of the actual dog itself.

Aurdino motor programming

We were able to write the coding for the movement of the legs, for Forwards, Backwards, turn left, turn right and stop.

Originally the idea was to 3D print all of the parts of the dog and fit together. We found a file at  and had a go at 3D printing it to get an idea of time scale and how t would look for our own robotic dog.

3D printing

Unfortunately the file that was downloaded from the site was not as good as anticipated. As well as this we found out that 3D printing can be a little temperamental. As you can see below the finish on the dogs head was not as clean as we needed.


Was a good experience using the 3D printer, but we swayed towards the possibility of laser cutting instead, as 3D was a lot more time consuming and we were able to adapt our design more efficiently using the laser cutter.

Laser cutting – casing for the Arduino

This video shows the laser cutter cutting out the box for housing the electronics in the body of the dog. The files for the printer were produced in illustrator. I found it difficult to get the measurements correct, but got there in the end. The rest of the dog including the body, head and legs were all produced with the laser cutter, it was just a matter of fitting them altogether.

This is the head of the dog, taken from d-torso template, which was traced in illustrator so that we could send it to the laser cutter.

IMG_7395 2

Once all was put together we tried to change the power cable to batteries, however once the batteries were fitted there was not enough power to get any movement out of the dog itself. We had to go back to the original power cable for our presentation unfortunately. Probably should have given ourselves more time to tinker around with the electronics, but time was consumed with the ascetics of the Dog head and body, which took longer than expected. However in the time that we had to produce this, I was pleased with the overall look of the robot.


Explore – Field – Disobedient Objects


The field part of our studies was something that I was looking forward to finding more out about. I was interested at first with the techniques and skills that I could learn whilst on the module, one of which was programmable electronics and open source coding. Something that I had not done before. Our sessions were also taking place in the FabLab where we have access to the laser cutters and 3D printers, which I was a little excited about, have been fascinated with 3D printer for a while and not had the opportunity to use one.

The outcome by the end of the module I am hoping that I will have designed, developed and made a disobedient object. An object that addresses the brief, which has to identify a situation that needs balancing. During our first session we were given examples of disobedient objects that already exist today.

This DIY tear gas mask, is made of old water bottles, you can download the instructions of how to make your own online. I like the fact that the object has been upcycled. Might be something that I would be able to do myself when working on my own disobedient object. I will be able to also use my graphics skills to be come up with a manual for the object itself and the possibility of a short animation or advert for the product itself. Looking forward to getting stuck into this project and sees what I am able to produce by the end of the module.