Final edits ready for digital hand-in

Taking on broad the group crit comments I set about making changes to my editorial. Losing the pink, opening up the layout by getting rid of the lines on the quotes. Im still struggling with the layout of the text boxes, which is Ive moved around so much now that I can’t decide on the best position. Again Ive shy’d away from the type detailing, just wanting to get it handed in and then to make the final edits ready for printing. Still felt that the layout could be more playful, Im struggling to think outside of the box and come up with something that is going to stand out. There was an idea to emboss musical notes on the last page as an interpretation of Anna listening to audio books in her darkened room. I created notes in illustrator and placed them over the last page.

A decade in the dark2.6_Page_1A decade in the dark2.6_Page_2A decade in the dark2.6_Page_3A decade in the dark2.6_Page_4

Packaging the final piece was something that I had not come across before. I found that there was lots of messing around with changing the images from RBG to CMYK ready to package properly. Also had trouble with linking the oblique font, which needed to be downloaded again. However it was a positive exercise and something that I would be able to do with no issues for the next digital hand in. Hoping that there won’t be too many changes to be made before I have to print.

Editorial Group Crit – Presentation of PDF

It was great to see everybody’s work so far in our presentation of our pieces. Lots of my peers had also chosen A Decade In The Dark text as well, was really interesting to see how it had been interpreted differently by others. There were a few that stood out, especially Allegra’s editorial on modern day slavery. Felt that the pace and overall layout was excellent, with a clever use of a line that ran throughout the piece which brought it all together.

I had some really positive comments on my piece, even though there was mixed reviews on my cut off quotes, it was suggested that I try and make them so that the words are shown in full, to make it more legible. Lots of work to be done on the type detailing, something that I knew was going to be brought up……I had messed around with the layout of the text boxes, trying to get the path for the eye right, that it had been left. To be honest it was not something that I am confident in doing, will have to ┬áresearch into how to do it properly, definitely needs to be done, don’t want an awful rag distracting from the overall layout. The use of the pink was questioned, I could not justify it, other than it was a nice contrasting colour on top of the imagery and blackness of the last page. Will have a play around with some less garish colours.

It was also suggested that I took that lines out of the pulled out quotes, as they felt like they were boxed in, I somewhat liked them, but I will see have they look by being set free.

IMG_0726

Overall this group crit was really helpful, plenty of work to be done now to get the final piece finalised.